Welcome to my blog. Enjoy a warm cup of tea and sit for a spell.

Blog Update

**Notice**
There will be extents where I may not post for a while, sometimes it's a posting slump, sometimes it's life. Eventually new content WILL be posted, I've not neglected my blog.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Ma'iingan




Feel free to visit MYSTICAL PAGAN for interesting content.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Coloring Book of Shadows Review

So, I recently purchased the Coloring Book of Shadows by Amy Cesari, and thought I'd give my opinion on the book.

It arrived on about the 24th of April, so I've had a little under a month to look it over. Not a bad little book, though I wouldn't use it solely as my book of shadows, as there's not a whole lot of room for information. Most of the pages have a LOT of images, but little writing room (the exception being the last section on notes in which there are a few lined pages).

As suggested in the book, I took to scanning and printing the pages to put into my own Book of Shadows. Before I had to get a new printer, this was a touch difficult, as the book doesn't lie flat on the scanner, and my scanner had about a quarter of an inch raised edges, as well I had to really press on the spine of the book to flatten it a bit, nor are there any perforations so you can tear out the pages. I DID however have to go and buy a new printer, (my old one stopped co-operating) and it allows for the book to sit flatter on the scanning surface for better scanning.

I've done two pages so far, and actually find it fairly relaxing (when I'm not obsessing over whether or not I've used the same colors too many times lol) I'm rather pleased how my pages turned out.

Here is an example of one of the pages I've colored:

The colors are much more noticeable in person, this "copy" doesn't do it justice. I also colored in the first page of the book that says "This book belongs to", and added it as a title page to my current BoS.

I love all the other pages in the book, but kind of wish there were more "title" pages available. There's pages for herbs, elements, crystals, potions, spells, astrology and sabbats. Though, to be fair, I have a few sections in my book that others do not, and the sections included in the coloring book are ones you'd more commonly find in the average BoS, so I understand the limited sections.

Other pages I've used were the elements pages. This page (linked to Pinterest) I haven't colored yet, but used the space provided to include some "at a glance" basic corresponding information on the element. I've done this on all four of the elements (Earth, Air, Fire, and Water).

Overall I think this is a cute book, but don't think it would work as someone's sole Book of Shadows. I'd either carefully tear out the pages, or do as I already am, scan them to use in my own personal book (because I never know if I'd like to color a page a second time lol.
____________________________________________________________
**Update**

Here is another page I did, but because I scanned it into my computer, I used a program to color it. I think it turned out rather well:

No comments:

Post a Comment