Welcome to my blog. Enjoy a warm cup of tea and sit for a spell.

Blog Update

**Notice**
There will be extents where I may not post for a while, sometimes it's a posting slump, sometimes it's life. Eventually new content WILL be posted, I've not neglected my blog.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Ma'iingan




Feel free to visit MYSTICAL PAGAN for interesting content.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Interpretations of Witchcraft

There may be some confusion as to where I stand when it comes to Witchcraft. Many may believe (without asking me follow-up questions), that I have a narrow view on Witchcraft. I hope to clear some of that up with this post. If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and I will try my best to answer them.

In my view, Witchcraft is a practice. Casting spells and performing rituals to not only worship my Goddess (and God), but to also bring needed changes to my environment, and try to help those I love with my craft. I'm not so narrow as to believe that every Witch believes in a Deity, I KNOW not all do....it's just simply, that I do.

I'm not one to believe in "asking permission" before performing spells on others, for the simple fact is that 1) they are not alway in the area, and I cannot contact them to ask for permission 2) it may be an emergency and I don't have time to 3) they may not accept my practices, yet the spell or whatever may be needed regardless. Sometimes I have to just do what I do in order to bring about this change. I want my practices to be about as close to those practiced in centuries before "Raymond Buckland", "Gerald Gardner", "Silver Ravenwolf", etc. All these people believe in putting down rules.

Now rules are not a bad thing. Don't get me wrong. But to put defined, universal rules that ALL must follow on something that is supposed to bring freedom in practice, I don't know...kind of makes it feel too much like organized religion, and that's what I'm trying to get away from. The "Wiccan Rede" reads too much like the Christian "Ten Commandments" fit into a nutshell. While the basics are there, it feels too forced. Plus it leads to too open an interpretation, and no one has ever been able to just sit down and fully and completely define what the "Wiccan Rede" is supposed to actually mean. This leads to too much confusion and too much "Must Do This" and "Must Do That" from people of varying years of experience.

Now, I believe that Proper Witchcraft is practiced with a purpose in mind...not just a few spells thrown out there to "curse" some guy next door because his branches are hanging over my driveway. I believe this is the way it was done in the past. I don't know (normally I scoff at people who say this, but...) in a past life, I could have been a Witch living in an old shack in the middle of the woods. This could be where my "beliefs" stem from. I have always believed that magic has no color. Many agree with me (there are the select few who do not, and that's there perogative). I used this analogy to someone somewhere: "The electricity that flows through your walls is not "black" or "white". It's not evil for electrocuting you, nor "good" for allowing your lights to turn on. It's how it's used that determines whether it will cause harm or not".

Now (and again this is just my opinion), it seems like those who still cling to remnants of "Christianity" or other similar belief systems, that thrive on the Good vs. Bad, carry with them to their new path the belief that magic is "Black" and "White". Energy is energy. It's not color coded. I know they will flat out deny they carry any kind of "remnant" of Christianity (or whatever other belief system), but the flat out point is, to completely separate magical energy it two "black and white" (no pun intended) sections, is just...i don't know, just doesn't sound right.

Magic itself has been asked of me to explain how it works. I can't explain it myself because in all honesty I don't really know. I equate it with a cell phone signal. Person A can call person B and talk without any issue. Magical energy going from spell to the intended works sort of the same way. When person A talks to person B, you cannot see the cell phone signal going from one phone, through the air and hitting the other phone. The signal is there, just invisible. I would say that the same is with magic. The magical energy going from me to the intended is not visible. It's there, just not visible.

I am not so naive to realize that there are those out there who believe in using Witchcraft for negative reasons (not to promote positive change, either). There are people out there who do stupid things for stupid reasons and they can use very positive things to do those very negative and bad things. Priests take advantage of children, doctors take advantage of women in vulnerable situations, Witches take advantage of knowledge and magical abilities and twist it around for their own perverted desires. This is why above I highlighted the word "proper". There are people in the world who do stupid things, and there isn't much we can do about it. Just do what we do, and life will go on.

**~~I will add more to this in the times ahead~~**

1 comment:

  1. At last! A Witch that doesn't believe in "always asking permission" when casting spells for others. I'm so glad. :)

    ReplyDelete