Welcome to my blog. Enjoy a warm cup of tea and sit for a spell.

Blog Update

**Notice**
There will be extents where I may not post for a while, sometimes it's a posting slump, sometimes it's life. Eventually new content WILL be posted, I've not neglected my blog.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Ma'iingan




Feel free to visit MYSTICAL PAGAN for interesting content.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Off Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 7 Premier Thoughts

**Disclaimer**
Bad language, spoilers, etc. If you read beyond here...don't moan at me. You've been warned.




Ok. So...the Walking Dead's season 7 premier was...gruesome and disturbing. I actually contemplated as to whether or not I want to keep watching it, because...well I'm used to walker gruesome, but not beat someone (well, two someones) literally to a bloody pulp kind of gruesome. But...I think everyone knows that's not going to happen. I'll keep watching it and think the same thing the next time there's a truly disturbing scene (and let's face it, Negan is here, so there's going to be more gruesome acts), lol.

Anyways, I want to respond to a lot of comments I've seen made by a LOT of people in regards to this one episode.

1) Gruesome Nature/Graphic Content
--There are a lot of people complaining it went to far by way of graphic content (especially parents). To these people, I say if your kids are watching this, this has nothing to do with the program's graphic nature (or your cable provider providing this channel in your package), and EVERYTHING to do with your crappy parenting. I'm a mother of 3 kids under 12. I don't let my kids watch The Walking Dead! I understand what my kids can and cannot handle, and this show...many adults can't even handle the content (I mean, I can handle some pretty brutal content in movies, but this episode even pushed my limit). If you're letting your kids watch this show, then what the hell are you complaining about?? It's called "THE WALKING DEAD". What did you think you were going to see? Prancing unicorns and rainbows?? A character named "Vegan" instead of "Negan" thwacking people with a stalk of celery?? (sorry, I saw this in a meme and I laughed so hard I cried). But seriously, what are you complaining about? Television is not watched SOLELY by children and overly sensitive adults. If this kind of programming disturbs you DON'T WATCH IT!!

2) Blame
--In this world...if someone dies, it's not necessarily someone's fault (unless it's an intentional murder, like what Shane did to Otis in season 2 (RECAP: While escaping a walker hoard after gathering medical supplies to save Carl, Shane shoots Otis in the leg and leaves him for the walkers to consume so he can get away (hey, every man for himself, now, right?))).

Rick: Everyone blames Rick for the group being caught by Negan and his group. Ok, even I laid blame on Rick, because let's face it...he bit off WAY more than he could chew by promising the Hilltop they would kill this Negan for them in exchange for half of what they have. Rick didn't even know who Negan was, so how he was so sure he could defeat him...I think was a matter of an over-inflated ego. He took over Alexandria...he beat the Wolves (essentially...they could come back for all I know), his group beat the Governor...but Negan was totally unknown. He was just a name. He had **NO** idea that this Negan wasn't just a guy, but a massive group of people! But...it was just a matter of time before Negan found Alexandria (if he wans't alerted to it already, but I'll discuss this below). Georgia isn't a very big state...and Negan has a lot of "followers" (and I use quotes because chances are these people "follow" Negan for the fact that they were faced with the same situation Rick and his group were). Eventually SOMEONE was going to find Alexandria, whether or not Rick and his group were there, so it's not solely his fault.

Daryl: Then there's Daryl's action that led to Glenn's demise. Come on. Who wouldn't have wanted to get up and beat the crap outta someone who just bloody pulped someone in your group? I know I certainly would have, despite the "warning" Negan gave. So I think everyone needs to cut Daryl some slack. I'm amazed Rick didn't do it (but then he was probably worried that his actions would have led to Carl's demise). Sometimes emotions take over bodily actions and one can "black out" and do something they probably shouldn't. I don't blame Daryl for Glenn's death. Negan could have picked anyone. If anything, Glenn drew attention to himself when Negan pointed out how "shitty" Maggie looked and offered to put her out of her misery, then Glenn hollered. No one thought of THAT, now did they?? "The first one's free", Negan said. He could have been a REAL ass and taken him out right then and there, but he offered a chance. Ya, Daryl didn't help things, but it could have easily been Glenn's sole reaction to his wife being threatened that could have taken him out, not Daryl.

3) Snitch
--Many believe there's a snitch in Alexandria. Possible. But why wait until now to take over? Seems Alexandria's been there since the beginning...why hadn't Negan and his group taken over Alexandria before Rick and his group arrived? More blame is on Enid. Sure. She was newer to Alexandria before Rick and his group arrived, but why didn't they attack shortly after her arrival? I'm not entirely saying she's not a snitch. Hell, she could be. But there could be a lot of other options too. How do we know there isn't a spotter out there? But then that leads back to "why now?" and "why not before?". Everyone's so quick to jump on Enid, but I think I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Heck, maybe I'm wrong...we'll just have to wait and see.

4) JDM vs Negan
--Poor Jeffery Dean Morgan. Yes. I LOATHE the character Negan. But should I equate the character with the man? No. Vin Diesel once played a villain, but in real life...he's a sweetie. He loves his fans and is a humanitarian. Because he played an "Escaped Convict...Murderer", does this mean his personality is that of his character? No. So why all the hate for Jeffery Dean Morgan? I know I'll never look at "John Winchester" the same way again, but in the end...I think he's a fantastic actor, and if his portrayal of Negan stirs up THAT  much emotion in people, then that means he's done his job. If an actor cannot convey his character in a manner that people find believable...then that person is not doing their job. The very fact that people are so ticked at Jeffery Dean Morgan for his character killing off two beloved characters in TWD shows he's excellent at his job (kudos also to Steven Yeun and Michael Cutdlitz for their performance in this episode. Loved "Suck My Nuts!!" Such a "Abraham" way to go out.)




The fact of the matter is...it's a tv show, people! Come on. It's not real life, and in fantasy/fiction, we get to play out and witness that which is beyond our imagination. Brutality, immorality, animalistic tendencies, monsterism (not a word, I know, but stay with me), etc. Better to witness this kind of thing through works of fiction than to witness it in our day-to-day lives. At least when the credits end, we can come back to reality and know that we are much safer here than in the imagination of some writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment